Search This Blog

Sunday, October 17, 2010

MIDTERM REFLECTIONS: ACADEMIC GRANDSLAM

I learned to identify the multiple techniques that the media industry uses to persuade its audience. Ex: By identifying an image meant to be a symbol in a commercial, I have effectively interpreted what the advertiser/company is trying to sell/tell me.

2.) What is the most important thing you have learned about yourself as a critical reader, a writer, and a thinker in this class so far?

As a Critical Reader: I have learned that I have an extremely short attention span and that I can't read anything as effectively as I used to because the Internet has destroyed/massaged my brain.

As a Writer: I have learned that media is the plural form of medium which is an extremely important fact to remember when one is writing... see what I did there?

As a Thinker: I have learned the power of media convergence in the 21st century. Using powerful tools like the search capabilities of the internet, we will be able to reach a new point in technological and social advancement the likes of which, the world has never seen. However, I think the tools that which we are so familiar with and that we take for granted, are now inhibiting us to advance because we are so concerned with posting status updates about how great Robert Pattinson hair looks in the new twilight movie. I think that maybe we all need to grow up a little and use the technology we have to our advantage, instead of just letting it hinder our potential as a species.

3.) What's one thing you would do differently this first half of the semester if you were to take this class again?

I would definitely memorize some of the power tools a little better. I always forget the 7 principles.

4.) What's one thing you would like me to do differently this first half of the semester if you were to take this class again?

I would like it if you were to go more in-depth and talk about our views on the class and the subjects you are teaching. I like discussion among my pears, especially when it leads to a difference of opinion.

5.) Please comment on the usefulness of the power tools, our course blog, your personal blog, our in-class quizzes, our films, and our book as learning tools.

Course Blog: Good idea, no wait... great idea. I'm really tired of teachers assigning regular homework like papers. Way to mix it up, I really didn’t mind doing HW for this class on the course blog because it was fairly hassle free and didn’t take up too much of my time. Lord knows, I am a busy man.

Personal Blog: Another awesome idea. I like the thought that we are encouraged to bring our own interests to the table and work them into our class work. Posting to the personal blog is actually an enjoyable assignment.

Quizzes: Seem a little intimidating at first, but you get used to them. It’s comforting to know that my grade in a class does not rely solely on quiz and test grades.

Films: I love watching movies in class and I wish we did it more this year. The video choices were very good but I would like to go over some more controversial topics and I think movies/film and video clips are a great way to do this. For example, I have a particular interest in North Korea. I find it fascinating as a country that restricts its media to such an extent. There are a few national geographic specials that are particularly intriguing. We should watch these...












Books: Great Book. It is actually an interesting read. Most textbooks are redundant, this one really isn't. A little pricey though, but then again, all books are.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent blogging here, Dan.

    So glad the course seems to be working for you!

    More discussion - good suggestion. Can you get us more than 2 1/2 hours per week?

    Bravo, and audeamus,

    Dr. W

    ReplyDelete